The East Harptree Hoard was found in 1887 by a labourer searching in the Mendip hills for a new spring for the village .
He uncovered some sort of pewter jar. It contained 1,496 silver coins, five ingots of silver and a ring set with an intaglio. The coins covered the period between the reigns of Constantine the Great and Gratian – from 306 until 383.
The hoard was probably deposited around 375 – as the western Roman world destabilized and the process of Roman withdrawal from Britain had begun.
There were 718 silver coins from Julian II. This is one of them.
Julian II, 360-363;
AR Siliqua, 18mm, 2.00 g, 12h, Lugdunum mint, 360-361;
obverse: FL CL IVLIA NVS P P AVG, pearl and rosette-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right /
reverse: VICTORIA DD NN AVG, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm frond, LVG in exergue;
RIC VIII 213, Lyon 259, RSC 58†d; crack at 12h, from the East Harptree Hoard.